Which Metal Detector to Buy Getting Started:
- Best Metal Detector for Beginners – For those who are serious about the hobby and things to avoid when shopping for a metal detector
- How to Make Metal Detecting Videos People Love
- Learning Your Metal Detector Using a Coin Garden
- Using Minelab E-Trac with Pro-Swing Harness – A $8 Hack for More Comfort
- Speak like a Metal Detectorist – A glossary of Jargon
- Interpret Things Metal Detectorists Say online – getting the real story
- Prevent losing your metal detecting gear – use small GPS based keyfinders to keep track of things.
Dating and Categorizing Historic Items Found:
- Dating Buttons by Shank and Material
- Dating an old site using nails – Nails can be an important diagnostic artifact.
- Dating shotgun shells (external link)
- Civil War Bullet Visual Guide
Finding and Accessing Historic Sites:
- Locating Historic Mills – Mills were very popular when transportation was poor, here’s a guide to finding them.
- Getting Permissions for Metal Detecting – Never trespass! Here’s some great pointers and links to learning how to get permissions most of the time.