The Famous Metal Detecting Jargon Posts:
- Speak like a Metal Detectorist – A glossary of Jargon
- “It Was Good to Get out” … Interpret Things Metal Detectorists Say online – getting the real story
Which Metal Detector to Buy Getting Started:
- Best Metal Detector for Beginners – For those who are serious about the hobby and things to avoid when shopping for a metal detector
How To Guides:
- Learning Your Metal Detector Using a Coin Garden – A Proven Method for Learning.
- Prevent losing your metal detecting gear – use small GPS based key finders to keep track of things.
- How to find lost jewelry systematically. A proven method.
Dating and Categorizing Historic Items Found:
- Dating Buttons by Shank and Material
- Dating Shotgun Shells (external link)
- Civil War Bullet Visual Guide
Finding and Accessing Historic Sites:
- Dating an old site using nails – Nails can be an important diagnostic artifact.
- Locating Historic Mills – Mills were very popular when transportation was poor, here’s a guide to finding them.
- Getting Permissions for Metal Detecting – Never trespass! Here’s some great pointers and links to learning how to get permissions most of the time.
Metal Detecting Field Safety
- Avoiding Poison Ivy While Metal Detecting.
- Avoiding Ticks While Metal Detecting (coming soon)